Superintendent George Kinshott

Hampshire Police

George Kinshott was sworn into service as a Police Constable on Saturday 7th April 1860 at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight. According to his service record he was exactly the sort of chap that the police were looking for. He was 20 years old, just over 5 feet 10 inches tall, with an oval face, strong physique, light brown hair, hazel eyes and a fresh complexion. After initial training, George was posted to Ryde on the Isle of Wight, then on 14th April 1862 he moved to Portchester and within a month had moved to Liss in Hampshire. It is whilst serving here that I first found his name in the paper.

PETTY SESSIONS (Tuesday) - Present J Bonham-Carter Esq, MP, and J Waddington, Esq.

Thomas Cannings was brought up in custody charged with stealing at Liss on Wednesday, the 18th instant, a bag containing bread and pork belonging to Thomas Aylward. Complainant works for Mr Coryton, and had placed a bag containing his lunch in a stable about 11 o'clock and on returning about 12 it was gone. Prisoner was seen close by the stable in the course of the morning, and on PC George Kinshott being aprized of the robbery he went in pursuit and found him at Hankley with a bag in his possession, which was produced and identified by the complainant. Prisoner pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 21 days imprisonment with hard labour.
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, May 28, 1864; Issue 3373

George was clearly an ambitious man and started to rise through the ranks. In 1863 he was promoted to Constable 2nd Class, Constable 1st Class in 1865, Sergeant in 1872, Inspector in 1878, Superintendent 3rd Class in 1880, Superintendent 2nd Class in 1886 and finally Superintendent 1st Class in 1894. This was, and remains, a senior rank within the British Police.

Another interesting case, dealt with by the then Sergeant Kinshott, shows that drunken driving was prevalent, even in those days.

A Drunken Greengrocer.- William Bunday, a greengrocer of Fareham, was summoned to being drunk and disorderly was in charge of a horse and cart on the 17th of December last. Sgt Kinshott proved having found the defendant on top of his cart, in which he had a lot of grain. He was very drunk, and after witnesses had given him a shaking he wanted to know what was the matter. He afterwards appeared very anxious to go home, but was driving in an opposite direction. His wife and daughter after Woods took charge of a horse and cart. The bench find the defendant 17 shillings and sixpence, including costs.
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, January 3, 1874; Issue 4318

George makes numerous other appearances in the newspapers, throughout his service, proving that he was an energetic and enthusiastic police officer. One of the final entries that I found relates to his retirement from the Hampshire Constabulary. He was given an annual pension of 101 7s 9d, which was not bad at all for that time.


- At the Police Court yesterday, it being Mr Kinshott's last appearance in court as superintendent of police, Admiral Field took the opportunity of expressing regret on the bench at losing him. He said the magistrates would not allow him to go without expressing their high sense of his public character and of the admirable way in which he had carried out his duties of the last two years. Mr Kinshott had been in the force 35 years and superintendent of police for more than 19 years, and he (Admiral Field) had never heard a word [said] against him. He would go into retirement with the regard and esteem of the bench, and he might say with that of the public. Mr Kinshott having thanked the bench for the kind words, Mr Barton (magistrates clerk) complimented him upon the way in which he had always discharged his duties, remarking that he had given the entire satisfaction to everyone with whom he had come into contact.
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, September 28, 1895

George Kinshott died in Alverstoke, Hampshire, in 1923.